(WARNING: Sappy-ness and preachy-ness ahead. I'm just sayin.)
For as long as I can remember, my Daddy has sent or brought me flowers for Valentine’s Day. It used to be a single red Carnation. Last year it included a teddy bear. This year, it’s a white basket with a springy looking assortment of daisies. You would think I would be expecting it, but every year it surprises me. Maybe because I now have a husband to fill that role. But, it got me thinking. I don’t think my Dad sends me flowers just to make sure I have flowers on Valentine’s Day. He sends them to me because he loves me. Even though I’m a “big girl” and I’ve run off and got married. Even though I live several states away. He loves me and I have never, ever had to question that. There have been plenty of times that I knew he was disappointed in me….but I never had to wonder whether or not he still loved me. I look at all the things my Dad taught me. He taught me to work hard and do things right. He took care of his wife and family and taught me to look for someone that would do the same. He raised sheep while I grew up. I always thought he did it for fun. I couldn’t figure out what was so fun about those noisy stinky animals. Now I know why he raised sheep. He did it to teach. He taught my two brothers the value of work. He taught us the joy of seeing new lambs in the springtime. And whether he meant to or not, he taught me, many times, about death and the sadness that comes from it, but also the comfort that comes from my Heavenly Father at times like that. I was thinking today that I’m really lucky to have a Dad that loves me enough to still send me flowers on Valentine’s Day, even though I’m 30 years old. There is something else he taught me from loving me so consistently and earnestly. He taught me about my Heavenly Father and how much He loves me too. My Dad’s way of loving is just the same as Heavenly Father’s. He loves me ALL THE TIME. Even when I mess up or I yell at my kids or I run out of money or even when I forget He is there. He still remembers I’m here. There have been times, and we all have had them, that I might start to question or doubt my role or purpose. But each and every time I remember that I’m a daughter of my Heavenly Father, just like I am a daughter of my Daddy. I’ve always come back to that and when I remember that, nothing else matters. Everything else makes sense when I remember that. I’m sure my Dad didn’t know he was teaching me such a profound lesson. He was just loving me. I know lots of little girls that have grown up into big girls that have had to learn how much Heavenly Father loved them some other way. I just knew it… because it made perfect sense to me that a father would love his daughter NO MATTER WHAT. Every little girl deserves to be loved like that.

4 comments:
what an sweet daddy you have... plus you deserve it!!!
Awe. Could this post be sny sweeter?! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Love u
I love this. Thanks Nat!
Great post!
Post a Comment